Nov 22 / Hannah Mathers

Warrior Weekend in the D – Thanksgiving 2013 Edition

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for an apartment in Midtown on Wayne State’s beautiful campus surrounded by new experiences to be had. Here’s just a few of things that are happening in Detroit during this holiday:

Friday, November 22

Campus-Martius-Park-|-DETROIT-TREE-LIGHTING-DETROIT'S-TREE-LIGHTING-presented-by-DTE-Energy-Foundation-at-Friday-November-22-2013-05-00-00-pm_event_popup_renderDetroit’s Tree Lighting
5 p.m. – Midnight (Free!)
Campus Martius Park (Downtown)

Not ready for the December holidays yet? Yeah, me neither but they ARE coming. Welcome them with open arms at this yearly event downtown at Campus Martius Park. There will be iceskating (of course), music and Santa is making a special appearance to get a jump start on all of your lists.

Calendar-Flip BooksFlip Books
6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Detroit Institute of Arts (Walkable! and Free!

Learn how to make flip books with your drawings. Because, umm that’s a freaking sweet thing to be able to do. ‘Nuff said.

Saturday, November 23

traviataPage551cLa Traviata 
7:30 p.m.
Detroit Opera House (Not walkable nor free but totally worth it!)

These events are really expensive. However, if you are able to ever attend one, I would highly suggest it. It’s one of Detroit’s beauties and a must.

imagesAmerican Soldiers
8 p.m.
Hilberry Theatre (Walkable!)

This play highlights the difficulty of returning from service. Come check out some of Wayne State’s talent and learn about an important issue.

Thursday, November 28 (Thanksgiving Day)

Print America’s Thanksgiving Parade
8:45 a.m.
Woodward and Kirby (VERY Walkable!)

Duddeeee throwback moment. During my first year of being an RA, I remember waking up on Thanksgiving day, sleeping in real nice and riding my bike to the parade. I remember thinking, “wow it must be a bummer to have to come and park for an event like this.” This was definitely one of those omg-I-live-in-Midtown-I-better-take-advantage-of-it moments and I’ve had millions since. Sooo thankful for the ability to walk outside of my door to these types of events. Please, enjoy it! Also, the parade is starting literally right outside of campus this year on Kirby and Woodward  (I personally think they did that just for us). See you there!

Friday, November 29

Calendar-american-promise-02American Promise 
7:00 p.m.
Detroit Institute of Arts (Walkable!)

This just so happens to be playing on Black Friday (and my birthday) but more importantly, it is a documentary that explores a family’s exploration of diversity over twelve years.

Saturday, November 30

shopdetroit20131Small Business Saturday 
All day
EVERYWHERE

Detroit is literally overflowing with small business. Small business Saturday is about showing them mad love. Some of my favorites include Source Books (which has events on this day!), Detroit Artist Market, Bob’s Classic Kicks and Nest. Check out this link to see just how many small businesses there are in Midtown. Just go, explore and if you’re able to, buy!

Sunday, December 1

Calendar-DecJudySima2012Storyteller Performance: Judy Sima, Hannukah Stories 
2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Detroit Institue of Arts (Walkable! and Free! for Wayne/ Oakland/ Macomb county residents)

I’m not sure if you every heard someone tell a really good story, but that stuff is legit. Plus I’m all about that cultural awareness!