Haiku

click drag scale rotate

darn a typi should not have

created outlines

In writing my haiku i wanted to come up with something that graphic designers could relate to. We are exploring kerning, a necessary and extremely important, yet painstaking process… so what causes graphic designers pain? in our society and how fast paced we are expected to live our lives there is nothing more frustrating than unnecessarily wasting time. with word processing a typo is not a big deal, you can simply fix it. however, this is not the case if a designer creates outlines and starts manipulating the text, only to find a typo. “Darn, a typo.” Time to go back and redo everything that i just did.

We were then faced with the decision of what typeface we wanted to use. How can our haiku look like a part of its natural environment? how can we make it look like it belongs in our location and isn’t just a student project? What typeface projects professionalism and yet an acute sense of design rationale? Garamond. Garamond is one of the most classic typefaces and most unrecognized, recognized typeface. In this is simply mean that it is such a clean, well designed, common, professional typeface that it would not look out of place or draw unnecessary attention to the typeface and allow for the subject to be the focus.

I already had sheets of masonite that my group decided to use to laser cut our letterforms on. Masonite, being a high gloss brown chipwood, was ideal for the typeface that we chose. It was sturdy, clean, fresh yet not obnoxious, and professional, everything that Garamond represents.

In selecting our site we wanted to place our graphic design related haiku in an area where many of the graphic designers are so we decided to place our haiku in the most common gathering place in Old Main for graphic design students, outside of the classrooms. We also wanted our haiku to be placed high up on a wall, both to allow it to appear as a sign or billboard like object and also to keep people from vandalizing it. We also wanted to chose a wall that was clean and did not have scuff marks or any other imperfections. It was also important to find a spot that had a wall color that we felt complemented the color and sheen of our letters. The eggshell, matte, light green paint above the stairs fit this description perfect and therefore, is where we decided to place our haiku.

We decided to do all of the kerning on the computer and then tile print and paste all of the pages together so that we had everything perfectly aligned. we then cut the letters out of the pages and placed the laser cut letters in the void space. I think our process for this proved to be very useful because it ensured that we had a high level of craft in placing our letters. I think there could have been more group evolvement in the actual kerning so that everyone could have gotten practice but this was a result of little time and also doing it on the computer instead of the wall.

Posted by Tyler Hardy on March 18, 2013
2 Comments
  1. 04/1/2013
    Tyler Hardy

Lauren,
    Thanks for the comments. I didn’t realize that comments were disabled I will try to change that. The m&m project was here at wayne for my IGDS class… the m&m font created out of m&m’s. The idea behind the quote pages was that they set off new sections in my portfolio. So the steve jobs quote was about drawing inspiration from your past experiences and then it goes into my architecture work. The andy warhol quote was about making changes which sets off the change from architecture to graphic design. The quote from Confucius about doing what you love sets off the section where i show what I have done in a work setting. and the last one is about doing something to improve yourself and then i show things that i have done on my own. I didn’t think that the quotation marks were necessary because it was obviously a quotation but i did go back and forth trying to decide if i should put them or not. As far as the page layout for these pages i wanted it to appear somewhat minimal because i didn’t want them to detract from my actual work but wanted to use the same visual language as the rest of my portfolio which has a very clean crisp flow and if i would have done anything else to the pages i feel that it would have just junked it up. I am open to suggestions on how you think that i could give it more of a “designer quality”.

2. 04/1/2013
    Lauren

Why do you have comments disabled for your Portfolio Post? I think you’ve done some very good work. I’m very happy I got to see your architecture work. For the letterforms made out of skittles, was that at Mississippi or Wayne? I like your headings as well. One thing I’m not so fond of are your quote pages. For one thing, you’re quotes are not in quotes (though that may be just a personal preference). Also there’s no designer qualities about those pages. They look like you just found a quote you liked and increased the font size to fill the page. As a designer, this could hurt you.