Fictional Letterform Analysis

In my letter I wanted to focus on all of the connections between different parts of the anatomy of the letterform. I chose to use ITC Legacy for my typeface, which is an old style typeface. Besides the obvious stroke width variation between typefaces, there are many subtleties in the transitions of the brackets. Many of the letterforms share anatomic qualities so this project became a question of how can a new letterform be created with the existing anatomic qualities of the letterforms and analyze how to transition between these different aspects. For example, the serifs of the arms of k, v, w, x, and y are all the same. In addition, the ascenders of b, d, h, k, and l match the ascending strokes of i, j, m, n, p, and r are all the same. Therefore, in designing a new letterform, these aspects needed to remain the same. Therefore, the aspects that change are the angles of the arms and the brackets and other connections between the main body of the letterforms and the rest of the letter. This is why I chose to use a lobe in my letterform. The only letter to use a lobe like this is the letter g and it connects to a rounded bowl. I wanted to examine how this lobe could interact with a more angular arm like that found in a w or x. I also chose to introduce a new element not seen in any other letters. This aspect would be the right most ascending arm and serif. While the left arm meets the x-height, I chose to have the right arm stop short of the x height to help differentiate my letterform from any others while still using the same language as the other letterforms.

Hardy_Fictional_Letterforms

Posted by Tyler Hardy on February 20, 2013