Quick info about Wayne State’s cybersecurity
In the wake of the cyberattack on Equifax and the loss of the personal data of millions of U.S. citizens, I thought it would be interesting for the Wayne State community to know a bit more about cybersecurity on our campus.
Wayne State takes your privacy and the storage of your information very seriously. C&IT works constantly to make certain that all information is kept safe. It is a top priority to keep our employees information safe and to make certain that we uphold standards set by regulations like FERPA and HIPAA.
For a brief overview to understand the university’s methods of securing data, Director of Information Security Kevin Hayes shared the active controls utilized here at WSU:
- Multiple layers of firewalls
- Regular vulnerability scans check for malware and security issues on our central servers
- Automatic blocking of new attackers and threats
- Two-factor authentication for access to sensitive data
- Manual reviews of servers, systems and processes to ensure data integrity
He also shared metrics to understand just how successful the firewall and security systems have been at Wayne State.
On a typical day, university firewalls block:
- 187 million connections at the Internet edge
- 8 million connections for residence halls and housing
- 7 million connections at the data center
- 1 million connections at our Disaster Recovery (DR) site
- 300,000 connections for the President, Provost and Office of General Counsel
- 200,000 connections for the WSU Police Department
In the month of Aug. 2017, the systems:
- Dynamically blocked 2,844 attackers attempting to scan our network
- Blocked 4,373 viruses and malware components
- Prevented 482,316 outbound connections to other malicious destinations
- Thwarted 91,793 hacking attempts
Yes, you read that correctly. There are close to 200 million attempts to hack into WSU systems in one day. When I first heard these figures, I was shocked. In our modern world, it is virtually impossible keep information about you completely private. Rest assured, WSU does everything possible to make certain that we are never the source that compromises your personal privacy.