We Wear Red on Fridays
There are a lot of campaigns around this country and sometimes the world created to increase awareness and gain support for a wide variety of social issues. For Example:
- Breast Cancer Awareness – Pink (National Breast Cancer Foundation)
- LGBTI Awareness – Rainbow (InterPride)
- Environmental Awareness – Green (The Daily Green)
- Domestic Violence – Purple (The Purple Ribbon Project)
- American Heart Association – Red (Go Red for Women)
All of these are great causes and all are equally in need of increased awareness, but here on Wayne State University’s campus and across this country is a different awareness campaign.
Most on campus might not be aware that we have over 600 veteran or military scholars attending classes here. We have one of the largest student veteran populations in the country and it has everything to do with the leadership of Wayne and the amazing support of the student body. As this population grows you’ll start seeing the color RED a lot more because, even though we wear Green and Gold on Wednesdays to support our Warriors, “We wear RED on Fridays!”
R.E.D. Shirt Fridays is a national campaign to support the deployed troops that are still in harm’s way. The acronym R.E.D. stands for Remember Everyone Deployed. This campaign is not at all about the politics behind their deployment or personal opinions. Its sole focus is to support the individuals that are deployed until they all come home.
“The first thing a soldier says when asked ‘What can we do to make things better for you?’ is ’We need your support and your prayers.’ Let’s get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example, and wear something red every Friday.” Author Unknown
Support is the only thing that this country’s service members ask for so those interested in showing support can simply do the following:
- Wear a RED shirt, blouse, jacket or anything you currently own up top on Fridays. Possibly hats, gloves, lipstick, fingernail polish or any creative way to show support until our troops have come home and when asked why, you can simply explain that this is your peaceful demonstration of solidarity. Check this out: Examples of Support
- Buy and wear something specifically designed to show support for RED Fridays from either an online vendor or possibly the Wayne State University Student Veterans Organization (@WSU_SVO) and wear it on Fridays so that your family, friends and colleagues ask you about it.
- Take photos of you, your family and friends wearing RED on Fridays showing support and post them to the walls of your Facebook page and others. Tag the photos with taglines like #wewearredonfridays, #redshirtfridays or #redfridays. Here at Wayne State University we would like to see your support too so please also tag the Student Veterans Organization at #wsu_svo.