Jan 28 / Natalie Frakes

Food Feature: Socra Tea

A few Sundays ago, I had the pleasure of eating Sunday brunch at Socra Tea, right here in Detroit! They were hosting a special brunch with Detroit Gypsy Kitchen and Socra Tea has the best loose tea collection I know of.

Detroit Gypsy Kitchen is based on the concept of plant-based eating. Of course, there’s plenty more to it, but the food on the brunch menu was all vegan and gluten-free! The spread below contains the following: tomato-basil soup, mushroom and Brussels sprouts quiche with rice-based crust, and a kale and sunflower seed salad with a homemade vinaigrette. Seriously yummy!

On top of this, I ordered a 20 oz. pot of Socra Tea’s Japanese Sencha – one of my favorite teas. All of this was for only $12. So, of course, with all these benefits, I hope they put together something again soon!

IMG_2401 IMG_2402

Socra Tea has a great space over in the Medical Center on Garfield, right by MOCAD. If you’re ever around there, you absolutely have to stop in! They always have a daily tea sampling, amazing pastries and desserts, and the tea is always delicious and hot. The atmosphere is welcoming and next-door to Sugar Hill Clay, a pottery school and art center.

Check out these awesome Detroit-based businesses at their websites: Socra Tea, Detroit Gypsy Kitchen, and Sugar Hill Clay!