Nov 23 / Natalie Frakes

Food Feature: Avalon Int’l Breads

So, you probably already know about Avalon. You’ve either heard of it, seen an advertisement, or you have physically been there. It’s a mere four blocks from campus on Willis, between Cass and Second.

Behind the counter

I have to say that I’m a frequent Avalon patron… I die for their focaccia, any pastry they make, and their fair-trade coffee. All their foods are house-made with natural ingredients and they have tons of vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options, as well! Their menu is ever-changing with the seasons – right now, they have a pumpkin-spice latte and they’ve just started making their delicious Stollen bread!

Cranberry-orange bread

The environment is also a big selling point for me. I always feel as if I’m part of some good thing happening every time I’m there. I feel as if I’m somehow, someway making a difference for someone in Detroit. No wonder their motto is “Eat well. Do good”!

If you haven’t made your way down to Willis, you absolutely have to before the end of the year. Avalon International Breads is just the place to be.

If you want to learn more, visit their website: http://www.avalonbreads.net/welcome/