Oct 20 / Matthew Miagowicz

On Rehearsals, Openings, and Showcase

What a week it has been.

I suppose before anything else I should introduce myself: hello, blogosphere, I am Matt Miazgowicz, a 4th year Theatre student at Wayne State University in Detroit. I was recently named a Dean’s Delegate (which is a leadership position within the College of Fine, Performing, and Communication Arts) and this is my first blog post ever.

Please be kind.

Anyway, in addition to battling a nasty cough (which I think I’ve finally bested), this week has been a whirlwind of activity. I’m serving as Sound Board Operator for Dead Man’s Cell Phone, a play by Sarah Ruhl which is playing in the Studio Theatre (right underneath the Hilberry) through Saturday the 26th of October, so we’ve been in tech all week! That essentially means all the actors, designers, and crew have been in the theatre every night running and polishing the show, making sure it’s ready for the audiences to come in on Opening.

In  addition to that, we started rehearsals for the show I’ve been cast in this semester, ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. It is a show for young audiences and I play Boris, a dancing Russian doll–though I’ve been traded back and forth between tech for Dead Man’s and rehearsal for ‘Twas, so it’s been kinda crazy.

Finally, as a 4th year BFA Actor we’re in the midst of planning our Senior Showcase. A part of our Capstone requirement, Showcase is a trip to NYC where we perform for agents and managers from around the city–as you can tell, it’s a big deal. We had a woman named Ingrid, who’s a faculty member at Carnegie Melon University, come in and work with us on Saturday morning. Despite the stress (and lack of communication) leading up to the workshop, it turned out to be incredibly helpful, and Ingrid was wonderful. She’s going to come back a few times and really help us shape the showcase, so more updates to come on that for sure!

I think that’s all I’ve got for now; I’m going to go take a nap. Onward and upward!

One Comment

1. Anonymous / Oct 20 2013