Project 6 Part B Self Critique
This project has definitely been a learning curve for me, especially in the early stages of adjusting the columns with soft returns and kerning. The assignments was by no means “hard” but it was one of the hardest assignments for me because it was so tedious, time consuming and new. Looking back from my In Design file Project6 PartB.2 to Project6 PartB THE_Final shows how much I’ve learned through out this process. I can see now how hanging letters like “I, as, to, of, a” are very distracting when they are hanging at the end of a line in a column of text. I had never paid attention to typography like that before and it does make a visual difference when you soft return them down a line. However, at certain point sizes this soft return can create a huge, awkward hole in your paragraph that you have to compensate by kerning – or +. Sometimes that was impossible for me because my hanging letters were often followed by long words that could not be kerned with the line above.
Smaller point sizes were easier to make changes because the original kerning was tighter allowing for an “a” or “I” to move down without creating as much of a gap as the larger point sizes, but it also made kerning harder because -20 kerning of 8 point font is much more noticeable than -20 at size 16. Therefore, i wasn’t able to kern smaller size fonts as easily as larger. If I had a widow of “Q” in size 16, -20 kerning often brought the “Q” to the above line with no problem. If I tried this with 6,8,10 point fonts the kerning took -30 or more to bring the widow up which is unacceptable kerning for such a small font. Below is my original layout before any corrections were made.
You can see all the widows and how much they stick out. Even my “and Q’s” were widows i had to adjust. I learned that in order to not be a widow the last line must be at least 1/3 the width of the column.
I found myself correcting my graphic design Visual Interpretation Poster after i started project 6 because I was arranging my layout in a grid with 300-500 words of text. The knowledge I acquired from this assignment made my assignment for graphic design better.
Below is my Final Part B (hopefully…)