Mar 26 / Joan Beaudoin

Current Projects

Ever wonder what faculty do when they aren’t teaching in the classroom (or online, as is has become the norm for me), preparing course materials or teaching? This post will give you a glimpse into that world.

1. This morning while I drank my tea to clear the cobwebs, I read and answered emails from students, publishers, administrators and faculty colleagues.
  2. I downloaded Skype in preparation for a meeting with several colleagues about a book on artists’ archives that we have been co-authoring. I haven’t yet been able to get Skype to recognize that, yes, indeed there is a network connection. Since I have other more pressing things to do, I will come back to this later.
  3. Since I teach online I checked Blackboard to see if anyone has questions or if other issues that have come to light.
  4. I wrote this post.
  5. I have a bit of grading to do, and these assignments will take about an hour to grade and for me to post the grades and return the items to their rightful authors.
  6. Next week I am moderating and providing an introductory talk to a session on information visualization for cultural heritage data at the Visual Resources Association’s annual conference in Providence, RI. I will spend an hour or so working on the presentation. I hope to get through the section dealing with the basic kinds of information visualizations today so that I can move on to the introductions for the presenters tomorrow.
  7. I had a paper accepted to the DigCurrV International Conference and so I will work on edits to that document based on the reviewers’ comments. This will probably be limited to around an hour of writing.
  8. Reading also figures in for at least an hour of my day. I have several new areas that I am looking into and so I am trying to absorb as much as I can through the literature on the topics I am working on.
  9. Recently I began to examine how information visualization could be used to examine collection data from museums. A local museum downloaded some of their data and I am looking forward to seeing what I can discover. Hopefully there will be some time at the end of the day for me to take a look at the data again.
  10. Of course the never-ending supply of emails will distract me throughout the day much like those cute little tribbles (you know, those little fuzzy cooing creatures from Star Trek?).

There you have it, my day in a nutshell. Since today is Tuesday, I will go for a walk with a friend and my dog Bailey. I try not to sit at my computer for 12 hours a day, at least not every day of the week, and this is one way that I force myself to get up and move.