Jan 29 / ec4462

100 Ideas that Changed Graphic Design

100 Ideas that Changed Graphic Design

I just thought this snippet of this book was interesting.  I found it on brainpickings.org.

The book covers a wide range of elements of graphic design, “From concepts like manifestos (#25), pictograms (#45), propaganda (#22), found typography (#38), and the Dieter-Rams-coined philosophy that “less is more” (#73) to favorite creators like Alex Steinweiss, Noma Bar, Saul Bass, Paula Scher, and Stefan Sagmeister, the sum of these carefully constructed parts amounts to an astute lens not only on what design is and does, but also on what it should be and do.” (excerpted from the above article/review).  It could be a very worthwhile (and also entertaining and informative!) book to have on my graphic design bookshelf.  It seems like it would make design history seem that much more exciting to be presented in the way that it seems to be in this book.  The included source features some photographs of these concepts with denotations of where they fall in the list of 100 ideas that changed graphic design.

2 Comments

1. Eugene Roebuck / Feb 6 2013

These 100 ideas are absolutely incredible! I love these ideas a lot!

2. Nicole / Jan 30 2013

Hello!
    Glad you like 100 Ideas that Changed Graphic Design. You’re in good company as I’ve had many adoptions of this title into courses across the US. May we chat?

Best,
    Nicole