Hello Engineering Warriors! It is Time to Apply for Fall 2014 DTE Energy Co-ops
Fall 2014 Engineering Student Co-op-05696
- Job Duration: Fall Term (August 2014 - December 2014)
- Compensation: Wage determined by class standing
- Job Status: Minimum 40 hours per week
- Work Environment: Office, Field, & Power Plant
- Locations: Various
Students will work with engineers and other office personnel to: Provide support in updating and managing data input for engineering databases; Document and develop a new database to track performances or provide information for evaluation or analysis; Perform equipment analysis, troubleshooting and problem solving; Collect, analyze and input trend data; Prepare reports on equipment; Perform engineering calculations in the areas of thermodynamics, heat transfer and fluid flow; Communicate with vendors/suppliers and other engineers at a variety of levels to discuss/resolve technical issues, equipment availability, costs etc. Understand and interpret various graphs; Assist with process improvements, writing standard work instructions, prepare monthly reports for management, track performance of projects, update and create process flow charts; Improve data integrity of database and spreadsheet formation.
Other assignments include:
- Perform testing on various equipment (i.e. coal mills, air heater, boiler efficiency, turbine efficiency, fan performance)
- Prepare statistics on various aspects of power plant and equipment
- Assist in analysis of electrical equipment problems
- Support and observe field activities to develop an understanding of what is required to maintain, repair, operate, install, and test substation, overhead, underground, and power plant electrical equipment
- Analyze gate station regulation repair planning
- Participate in system studies using system modeling software
- Record research to determine original installation components
- Analyze exiting station modes of operation, project information coordination
- Conduct database maintenance and reporting
- Track materials and project sequence planning
- Categorize typical regulator, valve and meter types
Must be a Graduate or Undergraduate student majoring in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, or Industrial), with a minimum 2.7 grade point average.
The DTE Energy Co-op Program requires students to be able to complete two co-op rotations, alternating between work and school prior to graduation. Students must have completed their program pre-requisites and are taking courses specific to their major. Students should be knowledgable in fluid mechanics, process economics, thermodynamics, heat transfer and the ability to read flow charts and technical drawings statistics. Students are expected to have above average skills working with Word, Excel, and Power Point. Access, GIS Mapping Systems, Visio, Six Sigma and Lean Operating Principles experience a plus. Students should possess good written and oral communication and organizational skills, demonstrate the ability to work effectively with people at all levels and be safety conscious at all times. Also, students should be physically capable of working in a Power Plant Environment.
DTE Energy is a Fortune 500 company based in Detroit, MI. We are a diversified energy company, involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. Our operating units include Detroit Edison, an electric utility serving 2.2 million customers in Southeastern Michigan, MichCon, a natural gas utility serving 1.3 million customers in Michigan and other non-utility, energy businesses focused on coal and gas mid-stream services, power and industrial projects, unconventional gas production and energy trading. Information about DTE Energy is available at www.dteenergy.com/dteEnergyCompany.
Downtown HQ: WCB (Walker Cisler Building)
One Energy Plaza
Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Milford, Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Ann Arbor, Michigan-Flint/Tri-Cities/Thumb Area-East China Twp, Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Detroit, Michigan-Southeast Michigan-River Rouge, Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Monroe, Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Washington Twp, Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Trenton, Michigan-Flint/Tri-Cities/Thumb Area-China Twp, Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Melvindale, Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Ypsilanti Township
- Student Co-op
- Is this position covered under a Collective Bargaining Agreement? No
- Skills Testing Required No
- This position is a Department of Transportation (DOT) covered position and must pass DOT drug screen and is subject to random drug testing. No
- NERC-CIP Authorization: This position will require authorized unescorted access (cyber and/or physical) to NERC-CIP (North American Electric Reliability Corp. — Critical Infrastructure Protection Cyber Security Standards) controlled assets or documents? No
- CFATS Authorization: This position will require authorized unescorted access to restricted areas and/or access to critical assets of a CFATS (Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards) designated High Risk Chemical Facility? No
- FERC Training: This position will require Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) Gas Training qualifications No