Associate Software Engineer Opening – Cengage Learning
Cengage Learning, a publishing company and information services provider for the school and library markets, has an opening for an Associate Software Engineer, based in Farmington Hills.
- Assists with development and maintenance of software applications and systems.
- Assists with design specifications.
- With guidance, provides estimates for design and development tasks.
- Writes code with assistance and guidance, working with other software engineers onsite and offshore.
- With guidance, participates in code reviews/database reviews and walkthroughs to ensure compliance with development standards, robustness, completeness, and quality.
- Follows best practices for software design and development.
- With guidance, works closely with business owners, analysts, and other developers in developing systems in an iterative software development lifecycle.
- Interacts with offshore vendors and provides instructions and feedback on code as assigned.
- Assists with the architectural support of the platform.
- Assists CLTS in troubleshooting system platform and system issues.
- Perform additional responsibilities as needed to achieve company goals.
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Awareness of and exposure to Java based applications.
- Awareness of and exposure to database technology.
- Awareness of and exposure to XML-related technologies, including XQuery, JDom, XSD, DTD, and XSLT.
- Awareness of relational database concepts with some exposure to Oracle, SQL Server, My SQL.
- Awareness of objected-oriented programming and design principles.
- Must have experience contributing to complex software projects.
- Basic understanding of and experience in rapid software development methodologies like Agile or Extreme Programming.
- Good analytical and problem-solving/troubleshooting skills.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Able to clearly communicate in a variety of styles and settings.
- Good customer focus and project management skills.
- Two years software development experience.
- Awareness of and exposure to MarkLogic or similar technology.
- Experience in Java.
- Knowledge of Web Services and Services Oriented Architectures (SOA) technologies.
Interested applicants may find more information and apply at the link: http://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=LEARNING&cws=1&rid=6946