The Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (JCLC) 2012

As the SLIS Diversity Graduate Student Assistant, I participate in conferences across the country to reach out to prospective students. During these conferences I promote SLIS, attend professional activities, and build connections with other LIS students and professionals. I recently attended the Joint Conference of Librarians of Color (JCLC) in Kansas City, Missouri. It was an awesome experience for me as a recruiter, student, and librarian.

This conference was unique in that every aspect of the exhibit promoted diversity. For example, the exhibit was full of vendors who were selling products from various cultures and nationalities. From the recruiter side, the conference gave me many opportunities to connect with prospective students from a wide range of backgrounds. As a student who is from a historically underrepresented group, it was an indescribable experience being able to be in a professional environment where there was a balanced mixture of human characteristics present. It was exciting to see many well-known people in the LIS community such as Dr. Camila A. Alire who was nominated by President Obama as member of the National Council on the Humanities. The workshops and other conference activities were enlightening and practical. I learned about my identity and how I can further tap into parts of it. The conference was a blast needless to say!

If you are interested in issues related to diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in the LIS profession, I definitely recommend that you attend this conference if only once (although I hope you can attend it every time it is available since it is scheduled to occur every six years). You will have chance to mingle with those who have done solid research or have professional experience addressing areas related to diversity. The next JCLC conference will be in 2018. I plan to be there. I hope you do too.

Posted by Crystal Jolly on October 2, 2012