Removing Barriers One Scholarship at a Time

I’m Crystal Jolly and I am the School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) Diversity Graduate Student Assistant at Wayne State.  I connect with individuals from historically underrepresented backgrounds on and off campus, spreading the word about viable career and educational options in library and information science (LIS). I also share my experience being an LIS student from a historically underrepresented population. From my experience so far in this position, I learned the importance of removing  barriers which prevent individuals of diverse backgrounds from pursuing LIS. Of those barriers, MONEY seems to be the barrier of paramount significance.

However,  many organizations are eager to pay for the education of individuals who are from diverse backgrounds pursuing an education in LIS. In fact, money is available for Wayne State students to pursue LIS in their own backyard!  The University is a partner institution of the LIS Access Midwest Program (LAMP) which “seeks promising undergraduates to pursue studies in Library and Information Science”( LAMP, 2009).  Visit http://lisaccess.org/lamp/ for more information.

It seems many people from diverse backgrounds, especially those who need financial assistance the most,  are not aware of the scholarship opportunties available  to them. In response to this,  I created a list of scholarships exclusively for individuals from historically underrepresented groups who would like to attend an LIS program but, are in need of financial assistance. This list details each scholarship’s requirements and perks and provides a link to each scholarship for students to access them directly.

If you know someone who may benefit from this information, please pass it along. Barriers are being broken one scholarship at a time.

Access the scholarship list at http://slis.wayne.edu/diversity/scholarships.php

Posted by Crystal Jolly on February 16, 2012
5 Comments Post a comment
  1. 06/15/2012
    Crystal Jolly

Thanks Felix!! I would truly appreciate you spreading the word about these opportunities.

2. 06/8/2012
    Felix

I would not agree more with what is in here. I will definitely pass it along. Economic barriers is indeed a challenge. keep it up.

3. 03/20/2012

This is undoubtly Historical change, I will pass it along, thanks a lot for the info..

4. 03/12/2012

Hi there, just became alert to your weblog via Google, and located that it’s really informative. I’m gonna be careful for brussels. I will be grateful for those who continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

5. 03/1/2012

Hi there, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this article. It was practical. Keep on posting!