If at first you don’t succeed…then take a second look!

I tried to stay within the speed limit as I struggled to ignore the sense of urgency brewing within me.  Steadily I made my way south down M-52 towards Siena Heights University in Adrian, MI. I was nervous and I wanted to arrive early enough to set up and gather my thoughts.  “This day, Wednesday, April 3rd, I was to experience my first speaking engagement outside of the classroom!”  My job was to host an informal Lunch & Learn session; my goal was to enlighten as many students as possible about our graduate program and possible career opportunities.  This is one of my most important responsibilities as the Outreach GSA for SLIS, so I took this opportunity to heart.

Luckily I landed in plenty of time!

Upon arrival I was eagerly greeted by library staff, including Bob Gordon, the Director and Corrine Smither, the cataloging librarian and a graduate of Wayne’s LIS program.  As I followed Corrine down the corridor and into the library I couldn’t help but think “This is the single most frightening moment of my life!”  Nevertheless, my nervousness started to fade as I began setting up.

The atmosphere was calm, everything went smoothly as planned, the only thing missing…the students!  Now most people would have panicked, and rightfully so, but instead of giving up I took the stage and presented for Corrine and the Director.  Being my first presentation I made mistakes…I stumbled over certain words and struggled with eye contact.  Regardless the director and Corrine listened intently and afterwards praised me in addition to giving me sound advice on eye contact, points to make in my future presentations and information to include or exclude within the slides themselves.  The director even suggested that I walk around the room to engage my audience; he found this to be quite helpful in his personal experience.  Something I had not considered before, but nevertheless, it was good, sound advice!
Now for most people the thought of confronting a similar situation would have brought on a sense of failure, discouragement or even embarrassment.  For me this was not the case, I looked at this as an opportunity to practice my speaking skills in front of two seasoned professionals and also gain valuable insight on presenting in the future.  The worries of presenting in front of  fellow students were erased, this was an opportunity to get the practice that I would need before presenting to a larger audience.  After all was said and done I surprisingly walked away feeling satisfied and accomplished.  I couldn’t help but to think, “how lucky I must have been to get this one on one attention.”

If there one thing I have learned from this experience, it is that situations do not always work out as intended and somewhere in hindsight we must be prepared for this.  After all in the end we may find ourselves with something positive to gain!  I know I certainly did!

From General
Posted by Nichole Manlove on April 15, 2013
3 Comments
  1. 10/6/2013

You have a excellent website. Can you up-date this often?
    Would you mind if we talk about thjs site with good friends with social networks?

2. 09/10/2013
    Nichole

Hi Stacey, my blog is still pretty new, so I am not sure off-hand, but I will check my resources and try to get back with you no later than Monday Sept 16. Thank you for checking out my blog! :-)

3. 09/10/2013

Hi there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to
    give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading your
    articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums
    that deal with the same topics? Thanks a lot!