Process 4 Readings:
Thinking with Type:
- Early years of the World Wide Web limited designers range of typefaces
- Anti-aliasing created the appearance of smooth curves on screen by changing the brightness of pixels or sub-pixels alone the edges of each letterform.
- Bitmap typeface are built out of the pixels that structure a screen display of other output device
- First step in designing a typeface is to define basic concepts
Reading: The Armature, the Grid, and Grid System
- Typographers design using at least two things: a typographic element, and the space within and surrounding it.
- Armatures underly and bind elements through deliberate but failr random placement ruled by “intuitively” divided space.
- Grid also underlie and bind elements but with structural in addition to visial rules governing placement
- Active areas contain elements, while support spaces designed between and around them fortify elements.