College Student Wanted – Autism Support
Caring, reliable, motivated and responsible individual is needed to provide community living support for a twenty-year-old young man with autism.
This part-time position offers a minimum of 2 – 5 hours a week and the hours and times are flexible (evenings, days-when school is not in session, weekends). The individual must be willing to complete training requirements prior to starting position. In addition, the individual will have the opportunity to meet with a psychologist monthly, work with a speech and language pathologist or observe in the classroom. The projected start date for this position would be April/May.
- College student majoring in education, psychology, social work (mental health), pre-med, speech therapy, child development or a related field
Experience and Attributes Sought:
- Previous work experience with children or young adults with Autism is helpful but not mandatory.
- Creative and enthusiastic with a willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Good communication skills: the ability to listen, understand, reflect, clarify, validate, encourage, question and give constructive feedback
- Develop and implement behavioral supports based upon the individual’s needs
- Use appropriate learning strategies to further the individual’s development
- Teach and implement functional living skills for independence
- Take the individual on community outings to practice using living skills
- Help to develop the student emotionally, be comfortable in social situations, and be aware of socially acceptable behavior
- Learn to use and program assistive technology and alternative augmentative communication devices
If you are interested, please email email@example.com to arrange an interview. We live in the Troy area.