Ypsilanti Community Schools – High School Science Position
Secondary Science Teacher
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
SALARY: Range is $36,000 to $47.750 per YCEA Contract
Endorsements: Must have a DI or DX endorsement
SUMMARY: Instructs students in activities designed to promote social, physical and intellectual growth in the subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able and responsible adults.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
1. Valid Michigan teaching certificate
2. Bachelor degree with required certification
3. Individuals with relevant teaching experience will receive extra consideration.
4. Excellent reasoning ability.
5. Understanding of mathematical concepts.
6. Excellent reasoning ability.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
1. Teaches district-approved curriculum.
2. Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
3. Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of the students.
4. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the students.
5. Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
6. the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
7. Diagnoses the educational needs of students.
8. Evaluates pupils’ academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records and prepares progress reports.
9. Is available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day.
Ypsilanti Community Schools is a part of the MI Excel Turnaround Network and believes that a new teacher should be able to skillfully demonstrate the following skills:
1. Collaborates creates and executes clear, logical instructional plans that produce strong results in student learning.
2. Aligns curriculum, instruction, and assessments while responding to the individual needs of the students
3. Implements a tiered system of instruction within the classroom to meet the needs of all students
4. Discuss subject specific content instruction and the drive to try out new ideas to improve student learning.
5. Coordinate instruction within and across grade levels.
6. Seek out knowledgeable peers, coaches, or administrators for the instructional support in the never-ending quest to deliver the vision of high quality subject-specific instruction in every class period every day.
8. Thrive in a professional environment that is one of mutual respect, teamwork and accountability
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes to walk and sit. Occasionally the employee will bend or twist at the neck more than the average person. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 lbs., such as boxes of books and AV/VCR carts.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. The employee is frequently required to interact with the public and other staff. The employee is directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work out-put of students.
Complete all sections of the online application at:
http://www.ycschools.us/employment. It is required that applicants upload copies of the following documents: letter of interest and resume.
The deadline to apply for this posting is Until Filled.
The contract, salary and other employment conditions will be established by the Board of Education. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment for this position will be required to commit to leadership with a traditional and/or balanced calendar. Further, applicant must agree to fully participate in all relevant training inclusive of or unique to the building assigned and the District.
FUNCTIONS OF POSITION DESCRIPTION:
This position description has been prepared to define the general duties of the position, provide examples of work and to detail the required knowledge, skills and ability as well as the acceptable experience and training for the position. The description is not intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the duties of employees under supervision. The Ypsilanti Community Schools retains and reserves any and all rights to change, modify, amend, add to or delete from any portion of this description in its sole judgment.
This position description is not a contract for employment.
The Ypsilanti Community Schools is an equal opportunity employer, in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. The District will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
The Ypsilanti Community School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, height, weight, familial status, marital status, genetic information or any legally protect