College-age young people and recent college graduates play a key role in the Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools® program as servant leader interns. CDF Freedom Schools servant leader interns are responsible for the front-line care and nurturing of the children. Using the Integrated Reading Curriculum, they serve as facilitators in the classroom and as leaders of parent workshops and community outreach activities.
- Deliver the Integrated Reading Curriculum to a class of no more than ten students for 6–8 weeks during the summer months, according to the standards developed by the Children’s Defense Fund and the local program sponsor.
- Set up and break down his/her classroom space, including securing and organizing the appropriate materials.
- Collaborate with staff to establish and maintain a supportive and structured environment for the children entrusted to their care.
- Serve as a Harambee! leader each day of program operation.
- Serve as a leader of afternoon activities and other special events; chaperone field trips.
- Participate fully in the National Training in Tennessee.
- Must be at least 19-30 years of age, have completed at least one year of college, and have plans to complete the college degree
- Maintain or have graduated with at least a 3.0 GPA
- Experience managing large groups of children, college-age young people, and parents
- Solid commitment to children’s advocacy and enthusiasm for the CDF Freedom Schools program
- Ability to motivate others and work as part of an intergenerational team
- Strong appreciation and understanding of individual cultural history and the willingness to be open and respectful of all cultures
- Willingness to strive for excellence in all areas and ability to think critically and analytically
- Exhibit positive behavior and attitude; model a mature and professional demeanor; possess excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to the ethics of good character, humility, and servant leadership
- Current voter registration (as eligible by law)
- Authorization for background check for criminal and child protective findings
To apply, click here: https://goo.gl/forms/CgrpPROSh6N8mgYk2
For more information about CDF Freedom Schools: http://www.childrensdefense.org/programs/freedomschools/
The Next Chapter: It could be you on the water!
It is exciting to know that there are opportunities to educate students. One such opportunity is to work with 4th grade through adults onboard one of the GVSU Annis Water Resources Institute’s research and education vessels – the D.J.Angus located in Grand Haven. Six of the GVSU AWRI’s seven science instructors are retired from the K-12 system. The seventh instructor celebrated her 15th year with the program and she teaches science in a home school program one day a week. The instructors pair up to deliver 2.5 hour water quality monitoring trips on our two research and education vessels. They facilitate multiple activities at the same time, work in all kinds of weather, and are on their feet most of the day. They are energetic, flexible team players who enjoy science, being outdoors, and working with diverse groups. There may be a 4th grade group in the morning and a high school group in the afternoon!
So, here is where you come in. Do you know a seasoned, credentialed educator with a passion for science who would be a fit for our team? We have an opening this spring on the D.J. Angus in Grand Haven. Boat season is from mid-April through mid-October and the working schedule is paid part-time (2-3 days a week). Check out our program at www.gvsu.edu/wri/education. We would love to hear from you or the educators that you may know about their interest in this opportunity. Contact Janet Vail at firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-331-3048 and bon voyage!
Position Type: High School Teaching/English/Language Arts
Date Posted: 2/20/2017
Location: Muskegon High School
Date Available: March 6, 2017
Closing Date: 02/24/2017
MSTA Members: CLICK HERE to view several openings at Pontiac Academy for Excellence.
Elementary School Teacher
Elementary Physical Education Teacher
Secondary ELA Teacher
Middle School Science Teacher
High School Science Teacher
Central Detroit Christian is seeking to hire a part-time instructor for afternoon computer classes.
The rate of pay is $20 per hour.
For more information, contact:
The mission of Grand Rapids Public School District is to ensure that all students are educated, self-directed and productive members of society.
List of available positions: 2.20.17 GRPS Open Positions
To apply for employment, visit: http://www.applitrack.com/grps/onlineapp/default.aspx
GRPS Human Resources and Legal Services
1331 Franklin SE · P.O. Box 117 · Grand Rapids, MI 49501-0117
Phone (616) 819-2022 · Fax 616-819-3492 · Email: HumanResources@grps.org · www.grps.org · www.wearegr.com
@GRPublicSchools GRPublicSchools GRPSmychoice
Visit GRPS on the web at: http://www.grps.org/hr