Project 4: My work and final
The objective for this project is to research our two words that we were given, find connotations and have a clear understanding of the feeling and emotion invoked in order to design a font that represents each word. My two words for this project were defamatory and splatter. The most challenging element in this project, in my opinion, was the fact that we could only use either all square modules or all circular modules to design the two fonts. This was a challenge because it limited the various design ideas that I originally had, and it forced me to think about the structure of the font and how it works within a space.
After analyzing my research, I concluded that the design for splatter had to be something random that moves outward from a point. For defamatory, the design needs to be something that has been vandalized or broken down or deformed. Defamatory is better defined as verbal insults or hurtful words. This was the more changing word to design because it is not a word for the common tongue.
These are my sketches, as you can see these design concepts represent the connotations of each word. After working with both types of modules, I found that circles were more reasonable to work with because it gives less of a geometric feel and was more versatile to work with.
Here is my first draft of the design. For defamatory, I made the design of each letter weak and flimsy. I also took parts of the letter away to make it seem like it was broken or someone took parts of it away. For splatter, I added little modules around the letter to make it seem like the word was thrown on the page. After review from my classmates, I found that I needed to make some changes.
Here are the changes I made, as you can see for splatter I moved the letters around so they weren’t all on the same baseline. I did this to add to the randomness that splatter represents. I also added more modules around the letters to make it seem like it was dripping off a wall. With defamatory, I increased the weight of the font to make the structure read better. I also added pieces of the letter on the bottom to make it seem like the letters were punched, and the broken parts feel to the ground.