Oct 29 / Brian

Project 3: Fictional Letterforms part 1 and 2

For this assignment, we must create our own letter form, that fits within the alphabet of the font we are working with. The font I chose was a transitional font called Baskerville (shown here).

index

For the first part of this assignment, I attempted to sketch the Baskerville font as detailed as I could, in order to see where the cap-height, the x-hight and the baseline are located (shown here).

img007 img003 img002

Before I even begun to put together a new letter, I needed to analyze the font and its letter parts. I did a total of 72 sketches, 36 of them dealt with macro views of the font Baskerville (shown here).

draw006 copy draw007 copy draw008 copy draw009 copy draw010 copy IMG_9826

When I was done sketching this, I felt that I had a better understanding of what makes Baskerville, Baskerville. I now feel confident enough to identify this font just by looking at the letter parts. The “b, q” has the same pointy looking terminal. The “d, u” has the same ending stroke. The shoulders on the “h, m, and n” starts off with a small stroke and gets larger. The crossbar on the “t” connects with the terminal making a triangular shape. This font has serifs, brackets, dramatic hairline strokes and stem strokes. The “a,r and c” has rain drop looking terminals and the “g’ has an open loop. The acenders on the “b,d,h,k and l” are all the same shape and pointing in the same direction. Since doing this exercise, I now have the knowledge to make a new letter that matches the flow and style of Baskerville.

The next step is combining letter parts, these are 36 sketches of Baskerville letter parts being put together in new forms (shown here).

draw002 copy draw003 copy draw004 copy draw005 copy IMG_9824 IMG_9828

By doing this, I am now brainstorming new a creative ways to combine letter parts in order to form a new letter.