“Font” and “typeface” are two typography terms that are often used interchangeably, but they do not have the same meaning. A font is a collection of characters that includes letters, numbers, and symbols of one variation of a typeface, such as bold or italic. A typeface, which is also known as a font family, can be made up of several fonts that share similar design characteristics. In other words, a font is the mechanism that allows you to render the characters, or glyphs, onscreen or in print. Whereas, the typeface embodies the style and visual distinctiveness of the characters in a group of fonts.
Synthesis: 1. a composition or combination of parts or elements so as to form a whole
2. the combining of often diverse conceptions into a coherent whole
Arrogant 1. exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate ones own worth
2. showing an offensive attitude of superiority
The connotations that came to mind for synthesis were pretty much identical to the definiton. For arrogant it wasnt as easy so I looked through handwriting analysis and personality traits of arrogant people. It showed that these people are bold, brash, and ‘douche-y”. However, it stated that the main reason that these traits are the most viewable due to the fact they are hiding their vunerability.
This fictional letter form was interesting because of its uniqueness yet similarity to the letterforms U and V surrounding it. Its long stem with a rounded finial at the top gives it the iconic form of the humanist style. Its long angled counter also makes it look like the side view of sunglasses or a saxophone or musical note. The name the artist Trevor Torres gave this piece was Lamia which to me has sleek feel comes with writing this letterform.
Here is a link to Trevor Torres’ blog:
These are of the sketched Garamond Pro letter forms assigned to me in part one of this project.
Frenchtype: has a vintage, softer feminine feel. Seems likeit will be used it a women’s magazine ad or on drama/ theatre poster.
Marian Bantjes: A designer, typographer, writer and illustrator working internationally from her base on a small island off the west coast of Canada, near Vancouver. The following are a few facts on one of her pieces titled Seduction.
- It is part of a permananet collection in the Cooper Design Hewitt Museum [Smithsonian, NY]
- Created for Michael Bierut for one of his Yale Architecture Lecture Poster
Underware is a graphic design studio which is specialized in designing and producing typefaces. These are often conventional in terms of legibility – yet functional, having concepts that seek for new visual, typographic and linguistic possibilities. Up to date, Underware’s creations have received many awards – TDC New York’s Certificate of Excellence in Type Design has been granted for Bello, Fakir and Sauna. The company was founded in 1999 by Akiem Helmling, Bas Jacobs, Sami Kortemaki.This design style is based in Den Haag, Helsinki and Amsterdam. The following fonts are about apart of the Underware family:
- Bello– a brush typeface for headline point sizes, it’s big & beautiful and has lots of ligatures and start and ending swashes
- Sauna– a typeface for all sizes and has a warm and comfortable feeling. This family has a regular, bold and black weight. However, black weight is individual and only made for display use.
- Liza– Flirting, fashionable, provocative, emotional, casual, moderate, extremely sensible and beautiful. This type approaches human hand lettering as close as technically possible
- Fakir– “a blackletter with a holy kiss” is a Hindu inspired religious mendicant, used for representing one who performs feats of magic or endurance. Read more…