How to be a Graphic Designer without losing your soul

“With the ability to produce so much work, it’s harder to know whether what you are doing is any good.”

– This is definitely true and kind of a major smack in the face, especially since more and more people have access to the commonly used design tools, essentially anyone can become an amateur graphic designers or typographer.

“Modern designers must use the gift of iteration to work towards a conclusion rather than as an opportunity to explore every known avenue.”

– This is interesting because I guess I always tended to think that iterations should be completely different explorations in a sense – try the outrageous, even if you don’t think it will work, just do it and see – that’s what I saw iterations as, so I guess I was being a little too broad in my explorations sometimes when a teacher asks for 2 or 3 iterations – instead of starting over from scratch each time, I guess just try to make each one better than the next.

“…There is no advantage in this ability to experiment if we don’t use it as an opportunity to leap into the void.”

Posted by Amanda Fairchild on March 18, 2013