Jan 30 / Rodina Peace

Inspiration… FINALLY!

For my PROJECT 1: ORDER! assignment for class, I finally caught wind of some much needed inspiration.

Before class started, I was musing over my project which in parts uses some imagery I photograph myself that best illustrates a passage from The Timeless Way of Building by Christopher Alexander.

Here is a passage I chose to use in my poster:

In summary: both ordinary languages and pattern languages are finite combinatory systems which allow us to create an infinite variety of unique combinations, appropriate to different circumstances, at will

So to illustrate that passage, I decided to take pictures of sandwiches.  Each one is made with the same type of bread and different ingredients: P&J, BLT, Tomato, Bologna, Avocado and Chicken Salad.

I wanted to show how many different combinations can be made from using two slices of bread and how that allows millions of people all over the world to create tasty custom-made masterpieces.  The building blocks are the bread which defines what a “sandwich” is.  Countless of combinations can be made using sandwich ingredients.

England's 4th Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792) is known to have been the creator of the sandwich

England’s 4th Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792) is known to have been the creator of the sandwich

One Comment

1. Anonymous / Jan 30 2013